Turning your Ph.D. into an Applied Career
In this event, Switzer Fellows with Ph.Ds. will share their experiences moving into applied careers in government, NGO and private sector environmental work. Fellows will offer examples of career paths, advice on maintaining your applied focus during your doctoral work, and tips for job hunting and finding support outside of academia. Breakout groups will offer the opportunity to hear from alumni in different sectors. You'll come away with ideas, encouragement and connections with other Switzer Fellows working in or seeking an applied Ph.D. career.
This event is best suited for current Ph.D. students, recent graduates or other early career fellows, but all Switzer Fellows are welcome to join in to find inspiration, support and networking! The event will be held using Zoom, and will not be recorded.
- Francisco Dóñez, Acting Environmental Justice Coordinator, Office of Air and Radiation, U.S. EPA
- Susannah Lerman, Research Ecologist, USDA Forest Service
- Amber Pairis, Executive Director and Founder, Climate Science Alliance
- Janae Davis, Associate Director of Conservation, American Rivers
- Nick Jensen, Conservation Program Director, California Native Plant Society
- Marissa McMahan, Senior Fisheries Scientist, Manomet